We had another busy day in London! We got up early and went to St. Paul's Cathedral in rush hour traffic. We've had some trouble on the underground this trip. Today there was a strike of the drivers on 3 of the lines. Another time they closed our line, and another there were severe delays because of a person on the track.
We managed to make it to St. Paul's quite early. We toured the cathedral, saw the tombs in the crypt, and climbed the 438 stairs to the top of the done. That is where this picture was taken from. We could see a lot of rooftops from here.
Next, we went to Kensington Palace. We saw a royal helicopter land on the lawn. The police guarding said they were picking up someone, but he didn't know who. We waited for a while to see who would come, but we eventually gave up and went inside. Kensington Palace was Princess Diana's home, and they are having a special exhibit since it is the 10th anniversary of her death. There were videos and slides of her, as well as several of her dresses. I didn't realize how old this palace was. This was the home of William & Mary. It was where Queen Victoria was born and grew up. It is still a current residence for the royal family. We had lunch at the Orangery.
We managed to make it to St. Paul's quite early. We toured the cathedral, saw the tombs in the crypt, and climbed the 438 stairs to the top of the done. That is where this picture was taken from. We could see a lot of rooftops from here.
Next, we went to Kensington Palace. We saw a royal helicopter land on the lawn. The police guarding said they were picking up someone, but he didn't know who. We waited for a while to see who would come, but we eventually gave up and went inside. Kensington Palace was Princess Diana's home, and they are having a special exhibit since it is the 10th anniversary of her death. There were videos and slides of her, as well as several of her dresses. I didn't realize how old this palace was. This was the home of William & Mary. It was where Queen Victoria was born and grew up. It is still a current residence for the royal family. We had lunch at the Orangery.
After lunch we went to the Handel House Museum. This is the home where George Fredrick Handel lived for the last 37 years of his life. This was where he wrote "Messiah" and where he died. The kids did another search activity, so we got to know this museum really well.
Our next stop was the London Aquarium. It wasn't my favourite aquarium, but it did have some fish and types of jellyfish I've never seen before.
Our next stop was the London Aquarium. It wasn't my favourite aquarium, but it did have some fish and types of jellyfish I've never seen before.
We went to Namco Station next door and the kids rode the bumper cars. They were the fastest, most violent, bumper cars I have ever seen. I was glad I didn't go on them. The boys had headaches when they got off.
Our last stop of the day was back to the 'rooftops of London' at the theatre to see "Mary Poppins". The cast, sets, music and everything was fantastic!
Our journey back to the flat was great tonight. We found the right bus by the theatre that took us right to our front door. We had front row seats on the top of the double decker bus for the ride as it went past Trafalgar Square and the Houses of Parliment.
I have a surprise planned for the kids for tomorrow. It's sort of a reward for their being so great through all the museums, palaces, nature walks and everything we've done for the past month. They think we are going to Windsor Castle, but I think even I am getting bored with audio tours of old buildings, paintings and ghost stories.
I hope they enjoy the surprise!
No comments:
Post a Comment