Monday, February 27, 2012

January 2012

So,  This year I'm going to try to do a monthly blog, instead of waiting until the end of the year.  So for I'm two months behind,  but I figure if I can do this every other month it is still a great improvement over last year.   So,  let's start with January.

January was party month for Fusion-io.  They hold their holiday parties in January, instead of December.  I got to go to all of them.   The first one was in Denver.  There are about 15 employees in that office.  It reminded me of the early days of Fusion.   The next Friday the party was here in Salt Lake.   This one was for around 600 + people, including spouses.   Much bigger than the first year, when I hosted the Christmas party at my house and did all the cooking for 20 people.    The next we we went to the one in San Jose.  That office has over a hundred people there now.   It was really fun to see everyone and see how it is growing.  

We got to spend our week up at Snowbird this month too.  It has been over 2 years since we were there last.   It is harder to go to Snowbird now that the kids are older then when they were little.   Being at Snowbird is not far enough away to really get away,  so we find ourselves coming down often for our usual life commitments.  Our plans to have friends come up and spend time with us kept falling through as well.   It was still fun, and I enjoyed every minute of our time there.

We got back in the swing of things with the new year.   I am having a great time with both of my Shakespeare classes.  The conquest class is doing actors training, and the Elite class is studying Hamlet.

I started teaching Zumba at our church for the women in our stake and surrounding areas.  It is going really well.   We consistently have about 26 people show up for class.  That is about the max that can fit in that room.   We could move it to the Stake center,  but this location is really central for everyone that is coming. If it grows much more we'll have to move.  It is a lot of fun, and I'm getting a lot of positive feedback from the women who come.

London's Lego League team had their competitions again this month.   At our regional competition they did well, and won the Robot Design category and earned a place at the state competition.   They did even better at the state competition.  Their first robot run was excellent and held steady as the 2nd best run of the day.  The team ended up winning 2nd place overall and a chance to go to Legoland to a tournament.   We don't even have to fundraise for this, since they earned enough last year to pay for this as well!  Good Job PiPod!   The amazing thing is that all of their work was stolen around Thanksgiving and they had to start from scratch.  I'm glad the boys and the coaches decided to start over.  I think they learned a great lesson about overcoming in the face of adversity!

1 comment:

christini yogini said...

So cool, I mean Cold! I'm not missing the snow, but definitely missing you!!! Go, Fusion IO, it is wonderful that it continues to grow! Great job to the PiPod team!