Nathan and Erin and I spent 4 very educational days in Southern Utah.
Nathan attended the Intro to Scholar Camp at Youth for America, or
YFA. He must have enjoyed it, because he registered for next year. I
couldn't find out much more about the camp from him, unfortunately.
Erin and I attended two classes. The first one was a two day seminar
taught by Oliver DeMille on "Healing the Constitution". It was an
interesting look at where our country might be headed, and looking at
the different forms our government might take. Essentially the
solution us to raise up a generation of Statesmen who can fill roles
like our Founding Fathers did.
Our second class was a two day seminar on food and nutrition. We
learned tons of recipes and ways to implement, whole, raw healthy
foods into our diet. This Seminar was taught by Kim Simmerman. She is
Sue Richardson's sister. The class was a lot if fun and very
inspiring. Oliver's brother William DeMille also came and taught a
good class on gardening and being a Statesman Farmer.
Kim lives in the mountains about an hour east of Cedar City. You drive
through Cedar Breaks to get there and this photo is one of the views
on the drive. It doesn't do it justice.
We had a few adventures on our drives through the canyon. On our first
day down we came around a corner to find a car coming head on in our
lane as it was trying to pass someone. I had to break pretty hard to
keep from meeting them. I didn't have time to check the road, but I'm
sure it couldn't have been a passing zone. The next day we had
someone pass us in a non-passing zone as well. I was going the speed
limit, so I'm don't know why they were in such a hurry, especially
when the scenery was so gorgeous. We also had a rock attack us, but
luckily it didn't seem to afflict any damage. I was afraid it was
going to make a hole in a critical area. We also missed a turn on
our way to her house and took the scenic route, but we still got there
in pleanty of time.
It was a really fun and educational trip.
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment